May 23, 2007

I'd Rather Die

Some people have to be in control and no one, including God, is going to tell them what to do. As my aunt’s physical and mental heath deteriorates, she’s distraught about the prospect of going to a nursing home. In a last ditch effort to remain in control of her destiny she angrily said, “I’ll do myself in before I go to a nursing home.” Please hear my exasperation, she’s not going to do herself in. I’d almost like to call her bluff though and ask, “What do you need help with?” Bless her heart, what she doesn’t understand is she’s already doing herself in by refusing to cooperate with those who love and want to help her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Unlike your aunt, I look forward to my time in a nursing home. I was a cantankerous kid, I am cantankerous now, and I will be a cantankerous old man! It is the nursing home that would rather wait for my arrival!
-----Old age and frailty has got to be difficult. I gave the topic a lot of thought when I was in high school. I determined that I would live the rest of my life developing the thoughts and attitudes I wanted to have in mind during the frailty of my old age. As I have pondered over the years the upcoming pains and limited mobility of that time, the hardest thought I’ve had to adjust to is that of needing to rely on someone else for almost everything, while at the same time loosing nearly total control over the where’s, when’s, and what’s of life. So I keep looking at that period of time as the one last preparatory test of just how humble can humble get before I stand before the Judgment Seat and find the answer -- a whole lot more than even that! I look at my upcoming old age as the Lord stating to me, “Quite down now, child, and get reverent. The big one is coming!”