August 02, 2007

Duck-do

Occasionally the disciples had to ask Jesus to clarify what He was telling them. I found myself in a similar situation when I took my three and a half year-old grandson to the park to feed the ducks. As we walked on the sidewalk toward the ducks I told David more than a few times, “Watch where you’re stepping and look out for the duck-do.” We finished feeding the flock of fine feathered friends and began walking back to the car when David asked, “Grandma, what does a duck do?”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----We don't realize how big a role mental context plays in our perceptions of events and communications until we spend a few moments with a child. They see things from the limitations of hardly learned minds, and what they represent as having been seen often clearly portrays where that fresh little mind is.
-----Then also, pay attention to the disputes and debates adults have and ponder some of the arguments you hear put forth from both sides. Many times you will notice they argue for the same point from slightly different angles, just not knowing it. A few days ago, while I was putting my purchased goods into my car in a store parking lot, I saw a couple engaged in argument walk by on their way into the store. This is an exact transcript of their debate:
"That's what I said!"
"That's what I said."
"That's what I said!"
"That's what I said."
"That's what I said!"
"That's what I said."
-----Gail, you don't know how close I came to running after them exclaiming, "Guys! Guys! You're on the same page! Try peeking at the egoes!"
-----Bias is born in nothing more simple than personal mental context. And I assure you, one person's mental context is nothing more to behold than anyone else's personal mental context. Yet like epoxy, it sets up tight and hard when that other emotional compound is mixed in - ego.