August 24, 2007

Revealing

While disposing of my deceased aunt’s personal possessions I came across a letter I’d written to her 40 years ago. Always one to share an opinion, I boldly wrote that I thought another family member was way too young to be getting married. History proved me wrong, but I think it would have been just as well if my comments on the engagement had been disposed of 40 years ago. It’s unnerving to think more of my cards and letters may be lying dormant in someone’s old trunk. Jesus told his disciples, “There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. What you have said in the dark will be heard in the daylight, and what you have whispered in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed from the roofs.” Luke 12:2-3 NIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----I have real haunters from my past too. They are not so much from anything I have said, though, as much as they are from things I have done. Not that I didn’t say forgettable things, its just that memory of things said fades more than memory of events happened, and I rarely wrote anything down for anyone to later find in the light today. I look back on many things I did and see the real evils in them. I wonder why on earth I would have done them. But I also recognize that almost all of my haunts do not come from intentional evil as much as they do from the darkness of outright idiocy. I think it is why I used to get called “Stupid Steve” so much.
-----So when I contemplate this Scripture about what is said in the dark being heard in the light, I see also what may be an unintended insight. Many of the things we do and communicate we do so out of the ignorance of today. Since history is an ongoing process, so is knowledge and understanding of the events unfolding around us. Therein lays a trap for those (often - me) who try to know more surely about what is happening than the development of the event actually allows. Rash conclusions are drawn from the darkness of current events still in development. When the events have fully developed and the testimony of their eyewitnesses has become a shining light, I do hope much of what I have communicated has been sufficiently shriveled by time into insignificant non-memories. If they don‘t fade from memory before the light shines, oh well, just remember, it was Stupid Steve who said it.