December 04, 2009

In Defense

Occasionally I’ll leave a conversation regretting that I wasn’t as convincing as I could have been. Maybe my witness seemed vague, that I didn’t speak clearly or I just stumbled and fumbled for the words I wanted to use. We’re told to, “…always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you…” (1Peter 3:15b ESV) In trying to make a good defense, I think I fall into the habit of trying to tell others who Christ is to me, rather than just telling people who Christ is. No doubt I’m making this harder than it needs to be. The answer may simply be to quote Peter, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” (Matt 16:16 ESV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I think it is important to know who Christ is to you. I think it is also important to know why you believe. It is from these that your defense receives its passion and direction. But the reasoning of your defense comes from knowing the Word and the path it has blazed through history. In this is who Christ is - what the Word reveals about Him and how He has moved amongst man’s activities.
-----But I think the real key to delivering an effective defense is knowing the person to whom your defense is offered. Not always is the request amicable. Some may ask for the reasons of your hope fully expecting you to show yourself to be a failure in your defense. Others may be honestly curious. Then it also helps to expand on what your listener already knows, especially from viewpoints he already holds.
-----Generally, when I have forgotten these things is when I am left short of words.

Love you all,
Steve Corey