January 20, 2012

Unashamed

For a church newsletter I interviewed a woman in her mid 60’s who in her teens had a child out of wedlock. Being sensitive to the situation I tentatively asked her if I could include that part of her life in the story. She laughed, “Oh yes! God already knows about it and I’m not ashamed of it.” I love her attitude and the example she is setting. Many of us allow pride to keep us from acknowledging shortcomings, missteps and the sin in our lives…and yet God already knows.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----Even though I’m forgiven, even though I’ve forgiven myself, I never cast out the shame of what I‘ve done. Then again, I deal in big emotions and little emotions, big attitudes and little attitudes, general understandings and particular understandings. To be ashamed of some forgiven thing I did doesn’t mean I never again get to lift my head in joy. It simply means I will always understand that what I did was wrong, that it could have and should have been done differently, and that it was my fault it was not. Yet all of the meaning of such recognition is only instructive first, then pictorial next. The emotion of shame becomes subliminal at most, bowing to joy flowing from the good constructed into my new life - the whole confession-repentance-cleansing thing converting what I did into learning experience. And when the need to learn from a past mistake has long since vanished into the skillful performance of its counterpart, the near emotionless picture of shame upon the memory of that mistake now built as good into my life sings out in crescendo the glory of God’s love and intimate care in making everything of our lives to become good while we continue in love for Him.

Love you all,
Steve Corey