January 22, 2013

Confessional

About a year ago a fellow believer came to me asking my forgiveness and confessing that he had been harboring anger in his heart toward me and spreading rumors. Even though he knew that as a Christian he was in error, he believed he was justified in his feelings. I would have felt different about his confession had he not then gone on to reveal it had a direct correlation to upcoming political activities. He thought I might hold sway in the public arena and was worried I would say something that would shed a negative light on his business and his reputation. I see some similarities in the recent confession of Lance Armstrong. In the spirit of forgiveness I can accept both confessions, but I do wonder about the motivation of a confession that is self-serving and career-saving. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.” (1 John 1:9-10 NIV)

2 comments:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----He actually told you he was confessing and asking forgiveness for political effect? If so, at least he deserves a mark for honesty alongside the one for being a shlep. These confessions to effect conditions and situations of this life are a bit interesting. I guess there might not be anything wrong with them, if, as in the case of your fellow believer, they are made honestly enough to reveal the purpose of the confession. That allows you to make the fool of yourself instead of being made one by him. In a way it is a bit admirable.
-----But the Lance type confession, admitting only as much guilt as will re-open an opportunity and then playing like everything has been addressed because, “Oh, how I long to be a good boy again! I always have been. I just lost my way for a moment.” Uh-hu, Lance. When did you say that next touring event might be?
-----You even might be able to bless your fellow believer’s upcoming political activities, since he was sincere enough to include his full reality in his confessions. But the only blessing I can give Lance is for his next bicycle crash. May he not get injured, but may there be plenty of bruises, scrapes, and blood over which to ponder the fuller meaning of sincerity.

Love you all,
Steve Corey

Christian Ear said...

Steve,
That’s really a different perspective. I would never have thought of giving the guy a mark for honesty, but not sure I can go as far as saying it deserves to be in the admirable category. It’s interesting that the Spirit didn’t move him to confession until he calculated an imaginary risk. But, the Spirit did move him, so as you say he deserves a mark.
Gail