January 11, 2013

Ricochet

A few nights ago about midnight I was startled from sleep by what sounded like something smaller than a bread box falling somewhere in the house. First I looked out the front and backyard windows just in case the noise actually came from outside. Then I started going through each room looking for something out of place…I might add that all the while I’m playing detective Bill is sleeping well. Finding nothing out of place, I returned to bed praying that God would reveal what had fallen so I could clean it up and that I could easily go back to sleep. I knew I hadn’t dreamed the noise, so the following days I continued to scan the house for the noisemaker. Finally I found the culprit. Apparently my hair curler bag under the sink toppled into a large bottle of hand lotion which on its way down crashed into an aluminum bottle of air gel. Even though it turned out not to be a big deal, my relief of just knowing was a big deal. I think we can see this same scenario played out spiritually when one life situation bumps into another. What a relief when the cause and effect is revealed by the Spirit.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...


Gail;

-----It’s more than just a relief, too! Our minds are actually made to search for the causes of effects. Consider all the where’s and why’s and how’s of a child soon after its learned to speak. It’s mind is searching for causes. And mankind’s industry is the result of this relentless search. You searched because your mind told you that a noise meant an occurrence, and the occurrence could be detrimental. Therefore it captivated you until you discovered the cause to make sure no harm had come to your situation. Scientists are then going to say that the brain evolved this natural response as both a means of avoiding predators and a means of learning how to find prey. But truly, God created our brains this way so that we would have the opportunity to discover truth. Every effect has a cause, bar none. The more painstaking, patient, careful analysis we make of effects, the more our knowledge and perceptions resemble reality. “My son, if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; yes, if you cry out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures; then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.” (Prov 2:1-5)


Love you all,
Steve Corey