February 15, 2013

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

As my family matriarchs and patriarchs pass away my extended family is not in contact with one another like we were years ago, but I was still a little surprised to read of my great aunt’s passing through a death notice in the paper. When I went to the funeral home web site to find out about the memorial service schedule for Aunt Dene I was shocked. Not only was she listed in the obituaries, but so was her sister, Edith. Ninety-one year old Dene died February 8th, 95 year-old Edith died February 9th and their services will be held on the 14th and the 15th respectively. Let me confess that it has been years since anyone had any news about Aunt Edith, so we all assumed she had passed away and no one bothered to let the rest of us know. Both of these great aunts were strong women of faith, but the image of them being greeted at the Pearly Gates by their six siblings who passed on before just cracks me up. They too probably thought their sisters died years ago.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----The greater part of this country has become so self-sufficient that the necessity of keeping family ties has faded to dim. Love is all there is left, and there’s no massive quantity of that. “Out of sight, out of mind,” is fortunately not a scientific law. But it’s effect on our society as a rule of thumb is painfully obvious.
-----It is truly selfish of me for being, in a small way, quite happy that my granddaughters’ daddy has so far been an economic schlep. Their mommy could have taken them to the poor-house and fed them on food-stamps and welfare. But, to my delight, everybody agreed they could live in our home until their daddy developed “income wisdom”. My life has been hugs and kisses and unknown, single-syllable words ever since. His has been drier.

Love you all,
Steve Corey