September 16, 2013

As Long as He Lives

Both previously widowed, Laura and her fiancé David attended Laura’s 50th class reunion. When she asked David to take a picture of her and her gal pals, Laura absent mindedly called David by her deceased husband’s name, Nick. One of her friends elbowed her in the ribs while another whispered in her ear, “David…His name is David!”
Very matter-of-factly David re-told of the episode saying, “Well, it’s not like I haven’t called her Karen a couple of times.” I laughed at how non-pulsed both were at the faux-pas. Shrugging it off Laura quipped, “It’s OK. Really, David and I don’t care…and Nick and Karen don’t care either!”
Laura and David are both believers, so I’m certain they have Paul’s blessing. “A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord.” (1 Cor 7:39 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I married Char when I was thirty-seven. Even though I will not have spent half my life with her until I am seventy-two, still, I haven’t spent more time with any other person. Or conversed so deeply over as important issues as I have with her. I can imagine how much more another person becomes embedded in your soul when marriage happens some fifteen years earlier than it did for me. I find myself seeking Char’s perspectives when making decisions. I like the kinds of things she likes. And I never make plans without contemplating her schedule. Somebody you’ve loved for so long becomes a part of your mind. They don’t just sort out immediately after they're gone.

Love you all,
Steve Corey