September 04, 2013

Resume

I’ve been helping a couple of people update their resumes and both have worked for their respective companies for so many years that they have trouble recognizing their own value. For them, talking them through their talents, abilities and accomplishments is a real eye opener. They begin to realize they are much more than ‘just’ an employee, they are an asset. I can imagine David’s reaction to being labeled, “a man after God’s own heart” or Nathaniel being described as, “one in whom there is no guile”. I’m now beginning to think it might be a good idea if we all thought about updating our spiritual resumes. After all, we are more than ‘just’ a Christian.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...


Gail;

-----I catch your metaphor. I have no need to present a resume regarding my life and gifts and skills in the Lord. No human is my employer in the Lord. The personnel department in charge of my spiritual life and affairs is the Lord. And He sees without a resume. Besides, I’ve already been hired. I think you mean none of this.
-----But if I pay no regard to measuring myself today for comparison to what I found myself to be yesterday, I could well be growing in the wrong direction. “Examine yourselves, to see whether you are holding to your faith. Test yourselves,” (II Cor 13:5), “Take heed to yourself and to your teaching;” (I Tim 4:16), “Look to yourselves, that you may not lose what you have worked for,” (II John 1:8), “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved,” (II Tim 2:15), “…build yourselves up on your most holy faith…keep yourselves in the love of God,” (Jude 1:20,21), “…I bid every one among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith which God has assigned him.” (Rom 12:3). You must “write your resume” to see where you are. And having located yourself, that which you add to your skills and gifts by further learning builds it more.
-----God places a load of responsibility upon our shoulders by giving us free will. He clearly tells us in the Instruction Manual to use that free will for pressing on towards the goal set before us. If we were “just” Christians, we would be carried there. But, like you say, we aren’t. We must run there.

Love you all,
Steve Corey