February 13, 2015

Meddling

For some time now the tellers at my bank have irritated me with their probing and inappropriate questions. “Do you usually carry that much cash? I noticed you have a large amount of money in your checking account…With that much cash are you going shopping when you leave here? What are your plans for the weekend?” Here I am in a public place where the conversation can be overheard by those at the next window, as well as those waiting in line. Earlier this week I went to the drive-through to cash a check and over the speaker the cheerful teller ask loudly, “I see that you have a large amount in your checking account …” My chat with the branch teller supervisor following the incident wasn’t totally satisfactory, however she understands that the next teller to publically pry into my banking practices is in for a rude awaking. “Like one who seizes a dog by the ears is a passer-by who meddles in a quarrel not his own” (Proverbs 26:17 NIV).

2 comments:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----As predominant as you find these privacy invasions, especially the ones about how much money you have in your account, I would tend to think they’ve picked up their inquisitiveness from corporate headquarters. I’ve gotten the “you got a lot” comments a couple times before. But they’ve always been followed by a pitch for some other kind of account. These little inquisitions never much bother me though, because I use them as an opportunity to offload responses onto them I try not to use on God, “Ya. I know there’s a lot there. And I know my money would do better in another account. But I’m really busy.”
-----”OK then, why don’t you come in soon and we’ll show you how you can save more!”
-----”I’ll be busy soon, too. It’s patient; it’ll wait! Thank you. Bye!”
-----I always think God enjoys hearing that line used on somebody besides Himself. “This will please the LORD more than an ox or a bull with horns and hoofs.” (Ps 69:31)

Love you all,
Steve Corey

Christian Ear said...

Steve,
Great comeback. I seriously need to start looking for the humor in these type of situations! You may have given the next inquiring teller a reprieve.
Gail