February 11, 2015

Underestimating

I am a visual person, so when Jesus tells me to store up my treasures in heaven I try to picture what I’m putting on the storage shelf. For many of us doing good, being rich in good deeds, generous and willing to share (1 Tim 6:18) are not things that stay in the forefront of our minds once we’ve done them, and yet they are classified as treasure in heaven. From our worldly perspective prayers are another category that seems short-lived, because once we deliver them to the Lord they seem to dissipate from our mind. However, prayers too have a treasure value in heaven. “And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints” (Rev 5:8 NIV).

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----One interesting thing about storing up something, it is put in a place where it will be secure while you go about the rest of your business. If we hang around the storehouse relishing our treasures, we’re in trouble. Something interesting about prayer, it is what you do when your own hands can not produce the full needed effect. I’m not the sort inclined to pray before crossing the room, then pray again regarding which seat to pick. I don’t pray before driving to City Market and gassing up my truck. These things I can do with my own hands to the fullest of their effects. I think God takes pleasure in my doing them with bold autonomy. It is when crossing the room knowing Char is miffed because I haven’t yet picked my seat that I pray. It’s when my truck has almost sucked its tank dry that I’ll pray on my way to the gas pump. There are indeed far more things to pray about than there are which we can do well completely on our own. Surely we keep His heavenly temple smoky.


Love you all,
Steve Corey