June 15, 2015

The Lord Sustains

While my kids are on vacation I’ve been dog sitting. Most of last week it rained and one torrential downpour lasted over six hours. When it finally cleared enough to get out of the house to walk the dog, I stepped across gutters that continued to run full, walked past a prairie dog colony where one drenched dog sounded a soggy alarm, and watched robins plucked drowned worms off the sidewalk. “He covers the sky with clouds; he supplies the earth with rain and makes grass grow on the hills. He provides food for the cattle and for the young ravens when they call” (Ps 147:8-9 NIV).

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----And this is in a world where death seems to rule the day. He sustains the prairie dogs with grasses and the coyotes with prairie dogs. The robins felt sustained, but the drowned worms didn’t. Likewise, the grass on the hills fatten the cattle for our dinner tables, their sustenance aside, they are our sustenance. In this world, life feeds upon death. “He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:54)


Love you all,
Steve Corey