March 04, 2016

Disqualified

Recently I, along with two others, judged a speech contest. Our scores were tabulated together to reveal a first, second and third place winner. As the awards were handed out I was stunned that the person who deserved first place wasn’t even in the top three. I couldn’t believe that the other two judges could have gotten it so wrong. It was only as the meeting came to a close that we learned the woman who was most deserving of first place was disqualified because she went over her allotted time of two minutes and 30 seconds. Paul not only speaks of himself, but to us as well, when he talks about avoiding disqualification, “Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize” (1 Cor 9:26-27 NIV).

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----When Jesus’ disciples asked why He spoke in parables, He responded, “For to him who has will more be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away.” (Matt 13:12) Having something takes effort. Effort is produced by desire, or at least by some manner of incentive. When incentive has compelled the effort to produce some amount of good sense, to it will be added the understanding of His parables. So, to the ones who have, even more will be given.
-----Paul had a lot. He was blinded by the light, then found the person he was told would be waiting for him. Later, he was taken into heaven and heard and saw unspeakable things. Paul was given much. He was given so much, in fact, he realized that getting it not only required effort, but so did keeping it. “I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Be not like a horse or a mule, without understanding, which must be curbed with bit and bridle, else it will not keep with you.” (Ps 32:8-9) Paul was so sure to avoid having to be curbed by bit and bridle that he trained in following the Lord’s counsel so it would keep with him, rather than being disqualified for having let it slip away.

Love you all,
Steve Corey