July 05, 2017

It Rocks!

Many churches have a traditional service and a contemporary service. I recently visited the contemporary service of a liturgical church and most of those in attendance were over 70-plus years-old and a number had appendages of canes, oxygen tanks and walkers. As I sat in my pew a woman welcomed me, “We're so glad you are here. You’re going to love the service. It ROCKS!” In my mind I couldn’t help but laugh. I know what rock means in a charismatic church, but I wasn’t sure what to expect in liturgical church. The song selections, led by a five-member praise team, were praise songs, hymns set to a faster beat and one hymn set to an upbeat tune. While there was no toe-tapping, hand clapping or hands raised in praise, I have no doubt that by High-Church standards the service rocked.  

No comments: