July 11, 2017

Sowing the Word

Generally speaking pastors preach to their immediate audience, which for the average church in America today is about 75 people. It occurs to me that pastors fail to give consideration to the secondary audience that will hear their message when it is retold. When I write articles about the churches I visit I listen carefully to capture good quotes from the sermon so that I can pass them on to readers. Once published in the online newspaper the pastor’s words have the potential to reach over 10,000 subscribers. It’s easy to underestimate the nuances of sowing the Word of God. Paul recorded, “When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed. The word of the Lord spread through the whole region” (Acts 13:48-49 NIV).

No comments: