July 12, 2017

Zeal For God’s House

Prior to the start of worship, a man welcomed me and with pride said, “We love our pastor!” He paused and added, “And we love each other too.” Following the service, I was getting into my car when an older gent came up to the door and wanted to talk with me. He said, “We’re a family here. I’ve been to every d*** church in this area and this is the best one. Three-years-ago I came for the first time and I haven’t missed a Sunday since!” Mentally I laughed because the old-timer was completely unaware of how easily the swear word rolled off his tongue. Obviously there are many different ways to express zeal for a house of worship. Jesus cleansed the temple of the moneychangers, “To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! How dare you turn my Father’s house into a market!” His disciples remembered that it is written: “Zeal for your house will consume me” (John 2:16-17 NIV).

No comments: