January 12, 2018

Solid Food

When starting a new year many newspapers look back over the previous year with a “year in review.” My local paper is taking it a step further and publishing a column that reviews the week’s headline stories. I assume they are using the regurgitated stories as filler, but because it’s old news I don’t read the column. Pastors can come up a variety of justifications for recycled sermon material; however, they fail to understand that to the man in the pew they are delivering old news. The writer of Hebrews distinguishes between the infant and the spiritually mature. As one who is spiritually mature, let me be honest, I don’t listen to the message when it contains only milk. “Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil” (Heb 5:13-14 NIV).

No comments: