January 25, 2018

Unclean, Unclean

I’m holding my husband and mother-in-law captive as both have compromised immune systems and I’m not letting them out of the house for fear they may be exposed to the flu. I’m running all the errands and recently went to Walmart to restock our over-the-counter medications. As I turned the corner to go down the medicine aisle I realized the area was a literal petri dish for the flu. People were picking up and putting back cold remedy medications as they coughed, sneezed and read labels. I have a whole new appreciation for the Old Testament Law that required those with infectious disease to announce their situation. “The person with such an infectious disease must wear torn clothes, let his hair be unkempt, cover the lower part of his face and cry out, ‘Unclean! Unclean!’ As long as he has the infection he remains unclean. He must live alone; he must live outside the camp” (Lev 13:45-46 NIV).

No comments: