September 10, 2019

Know Who You Are

Often Christians are bold and courageous until someone stops us in our tracks by saying, “Just who do you think you are?” At the gym I go to everyday there is woman who is so disagreeable that everyone goes out of their way to avoid her, even to the point of not making eye contact. Over the Labor Day weekend this vixen personally took me to task when I ask the attendant to adjust one station on the bank of eight television sets. In a loud voice she said, “Oh great, so everyone gets to watch Fox News!” I said, “Well, yes we can.” She colored the air blue with, “What the #@*#?” It wasn’t until the next day that I confronted her about her bad behavior and informed her that she would not again speak to me in such a manner…and that she really did not want me as her enemy. She said, “Who do you think you are?” I recalled that some Jews confronted Jesus in a similar way, “Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?”  Jesus replied, “If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me” (John 8:53-54 NIV). In my situation the Holy Spirit prompted me look her in the eye and simply say, “I know who I am.”


No comments: