January 21, 2020

The House of a Servant


More than a few people have questioned our reasoning for building a new house in an old neighborhood and on a busy street. For starters, we’ve lived in the same neighborhood for 36 years so it is familiar. However, the real reason has to do with ageing and the future. Someday I will no longer be able to drive, but from the location of my house I can walk to grocery stores, restaurants, pharmacies, the post office, movie theater, the hospital, the doctor’s office, the fire department, library, courthouse, police department and Main Street. And my busy street…it’s a main arterial. When it snows it is one of the first streets in town to be plowed. I’m blessed to live in a house with all the amenities I need close at hand. I can relate to King David’s prayer, “Who am I, O LORD God, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? And as if this were not enough in your sight, O God, you have spoken about the future of the house of your servant. You have looked on me as though I were the most exalted of men, O LORD God” (1 Chron 17:16-17 NIV).

No comments: