April 27, 2020

Inner Ear


My friend Betty, who is in her late 90’s, began hearing songs and music, but couldn’t find the source. She searched for a radio that might have been left on and even went outside to see if neighbors were playing music. She said, “It was so beautiful. A man and a woman singing were singing “The Old Rugged Cross.” Betty became worried when no one else could hear the music, “I didn’t know if I was losing my mind, or if the Lord was calling me home.” The music accompanied her to a chiropractor’s appointment and remained present even when she took out her hearing aids. She said, “The music is still keeping me company, but now I’m hearing different hymns.” She laughed and said, “I keep wanting to say to my daughter, “Isn’t that pretty?”” An internet search revealed a condition called Musical Ear Syndrome where instrumental music or songs can play in your head over and over. It really makes no difference whether it’s Betty’s physical ear, or her inner ear that hears praises hymns. Proverbs says, “Ears that hear and eyes that see—the LORD has made them both” (Proverbs 20:12 NIV).



No comments: