April 30, 2020

The Flesh is Weak


The only Sam’s Club in my area is 60 miles away. When I went this week, I picked up a couple of rotisserie chickens and on the way home the aroma of the roasted chickens filled the car. Even though I returned home before noon, by the time I got home the smell had my stomach growling, I felt famish and thought I was starving to death. I’m reminded of Esau coming in from the country and finding his brother Jacob cooking stew and I have to wonder if the aroma of the stew played a part in Esau decision. “Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. He said to Jacob, “Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I’m famished!” (That is why he was also called Edom.) Jacob replied, “First sell me your birthright.” “Look, I am about to die,” Esau said. “What good is the birthright to me?” But Jacob said, “Swear to me first.” So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob. Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left. So Esau despised his birthright” (Gen 25:29-34 NIV).

No comments: