September 24, 2007

Being Sociable

As children our teachers trained us to come in, take a seat and follow directions. Many of us still carry that patterning whether we’re in the church auditorium, Sunday school classroom, or a pot luck dinner. We’ve been conditioned to sit and wait for someone to give us directions. In a sense I envy those who usher, greet or serve communion. They can move freely about the auditorium making personal contact with others because it’s their job. I think as adults we should rebel against ‘taking our seat’. We should give ourselves permission to move around, shake hands and visit with one others until it’s time for an event to begin – of course that’s after you’ve put your Bible and jacket down in the pew to save your seat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
I have always hated to be in a room with more than three or four people. While others mix, I examine the flowers in the corner. I have analyzed it from every angle on the compass, but I still come away from the social events knowing the flowers better than anyone else there. For Pete’s sake, Gail, I’m fifty-three years old. You would think I would have it figured out by now.
But you’ve given me an angle I missed. I never thought of it in terms of having been taught to sit and be quiet. My Dad was one of those who used to say at the dinner table, “My parents always used to say, ‘Children are to be seen, not heard.’” I got the insinuation. But I also got that he was just quoting his parents, because we did talk some at the table. I don’t think the “training” thing is the total of my problem, but I think it is a key. Or at least the correcting of it may become a catalyst.
Thanks.