September 17, 2007

Evangelism 101

Years ago while mentoring an un-churched man one of our members encouraged his friend to attend the Young Singles Sunday School class where he might meet some nice Christian girls. As the sponsor for the class I found myself in an awkward position. Not only was the visitor 20 years older than the rest of the class, but he’d bolstered his courage to come to church by having a drink or two. The following day I contacted our visitor and recommend another, more age appropriate class. Then as gently as I could, I made him aware that having a couple drinks and going shopping for nice Christian girls at 9:30 AM on a Sunday morning just doesn’t work. I think one of the biggest fallacies in our attempts at evangelism is the idea that the Holy Spirit will miraculously rub off on the un-churched once they are in close proximity to believers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----I’m still wondering if He has miraculously rubbed off on the churched, yet.