October 22, 2007

Music to My Eyes

I traveled to Denver last weekend as a weather front was passing through the state and the understated high wind warnings ricocheted through the mountain canyons along I-70. I’m accustomed to seeing Aspen leaves shimmering in the wind, but I’ve never known hearty dense evergreens to move with such seeming ease. Animated by wave after wave of gusting winds, the landscape did hip-hop as they slapped each other on the back and gave high fives. I was blown away seeing God breathe life into his Word. “You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.” Isaiah 55:12 NIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----I’ve always had trouble making use of such imagery as mountains singing and trees clapping their hands. Poetry never has rang my chimes. And I have always had to work hard to muster any affections for poets, whether or not their feet show it. Consequently, Psalms and Song of Solomon have always been particularly difficult for me to appreciate. Of course, since they are Scripture, I have always understood that it must be particularly important for me to appreciate them. So the only result I get when I make particular effort to appreciate them is the image of a 1930’s Walt Disney cartoon. Maybe that’s why I am particularly convinced that God has a decent sense of humor.