January 22, 2009

A Time to Play

I was looking forward to babysitting my three year-old granddaughter, but when she came to the house she wasn’t feeling well because of a cold. So for two hours Lydia sat around uninterested and unresponsive to any of my suggestions, other than watching cartoons. When her mom came to pick her up I hugged her good-bye and told her the next time she came over she would feel better and we could play. The tears started flowing and puckering up she said, “Oh no Momma. I don’t want to go…I forgot to play!” There are some of us who at times are overly serious about Christianity. When I die I’ll probably find myself standing before the Lord saying, ‘Oh no, I forgot to play!’

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;

-----I forgot to play in my younger years. It wasn’t that I did not want to play, but more that I did not think I qualified for play. God made fun for everyone else, not me. Going places in nice cars with good friends and having enjoyable times wasn’t intended for me. God intended that for someone else. Neither was dating or even flirting with the girls intended for me. Dancing wasn’t for me, ballgames weren’t, not even having good conversation. I was the consummate cynic. So I kept myself holed up at home building models, being unsociable, wasting time.
-----And it wasn’t that I did not try to play. I did date some. And I had a few friends I went places with, and a lot of acquaintances. But by the time of my high school years I was so short of social skills it was easier and less embarrassing to just stay out of sight and goof off by myself.
-----In many ways I regret having been dry as eating crackers in the desert. Char is helping me now to feel like I, too, qualify for play. She is what I do not regret about it. If I had played properly when I was young I would have married something else before I met her. That would not have been so good. Today I look forward mostly. I am not sure how excited Heaven is to have me, because when I get there I am going to be so like, “OH BOY! Now I get to play!”

Love you all,
Steve Corey