February 23, 2009

Inadequate

I’m a member of Toastmasters International and one of the things they encourage us to do is take advantage of every opportunity that comes our way. On short-notice I was asked to moderate a legislative panel discussion and while I was saying, “Sure, I’d be happy to do that,” my mind was saying, ‘You don’t have a clue about what it is you’re agreeing to do…’ Whether it has to do with our salvation or an unexpected opportunity, I think it’s safe to say that most of us feel unprepared when God calls us. Paul puts it in perspective for us, “Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world…; God chose the weak things of the world… He chose the lowly things of this world…” I Cor 1:26-27. Oh, now I feel qualified…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;

-----By the time I needed to start handling life and responsibility I was not feeling very confident. I made the mistake of trying to limit myself to the things I knew how to do. I didn’t realize that opportunity dwelt in a field a few steps beyond my experiences, and if I never entered that field I would never progress from where I was. Common sense is the guide through this field. In it are paths that a person should not enter - situations that are certainly outside one’s possible expertise - but they should not be confused with the others that are merely challenging. We must choose our paths wisely, knowing the Lord will direct the placement of our feet as each step comes. Our lives grow the most, and His Word spreads the best, when we choose paths that lead deeper into the field, rather than ones that only parallel our boundaries.

Love you all,
Steve Corey