February 24, 2009

Speaking Clearly

I recently had a conversation where I was given a scenario about a problem. I understood the scenario, but I couldn’t see a problem or an issue. When I left the conversation the other person was shrugging their shoulders with a frustrated look of, ‘She just doesn’t get it.’ I did get it…about 12 hours later. Rather than speaking plainly, this person used himself as an example of how he thought a situation needed to be addressed. In reality what he was doing was attempting to steer me toward what he thought I should be addressing. I can sympathize with the disciples when Jesus talked to them in parables…and I also share their sense of relief when they could say, “Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech.” John 16:29 NIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;

-----Figures of speech are helpful when the listener is familiar enough with their salient elements to extrapolate the speaker’s intended message. But unless the listener is also familiar with the significant aspects of the situation being addressed, a figure of speech is only useful as a guide to finding and deciphering the rest of the necessary information. Jesus said He spoke in parables so Israel would not hear. That is interesting. If He knew they would not understand, what would have made Him think the rest of us would understand? And His disciples didn’t understand until He further explained the parables. Then He sent to us the Holy Spirit, Who inspired more Word, which became the rest of the information needed for understanding. We now look back upon Jesus’ parables from an information rich environment and wonder why they didn’t get it.

Love you all,
Steve Corey