February 19, 2009

Indefensible

The other day I went to a public forum to listen to a newly appointed Senator. The Senator made a few opening remarks, the crowd asked questions and in general the communication was informative and congenial. Later in the day the Senator made stops in a couple of neighboring communities and although I haven’t heard how he handled himself, it was reported that there were elements of disrespect and even hostility coming from those audiences. When we feel attacked the natural response is to defend our positions and ourselves. The chief priest said many things against Jesus and Pilate asked him, “Aren’t you going to answer? See how many things they are accusing you of.” More than a few of us could benefit by following Jesus’ example, “But Jesus still made no reply, and Pilate was amazed.” Mark 15: 4-5 NIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;

-----There are times to defend one’s self and times not to. What is short of wisdom is to hold one or the other as the general rule. Many folks will beg to differ, but it also is not particularly helpful to hold the same thing Jesus did in any given situation as a rule for behavior. His responses were tailored for the situation He was in, and ours need to be tailored for our own. I am not advocating situational ethics. That is to tailor rules of behavior to fit situations. I am suggesting that we need to carefully understand the real issue of a situation, apply the appropriate rule for that issue, and respond accordingly.
-----Why Jesus did not offer a defense to Pilot baffles me. Sometimes I think He did not want to dignify the charges with an answer. Other times I wonder if Pilot might have been persuaded and let Him go free if He had answered. Jesus knew the time to hang on the cross had come, and that effected the issue of every situation in those days leading up to His death. That is why I am careful about the do-as-Jesus-did philosophy. Although I am to die daily to sin and count my life as loss, I am not to be physically nailed to a cross so I can die for the world's sin. That was His issue. Trying to stay in line seems to be mine.

Love you all,
Steve Corey