February 27, 2009

Recognized

I recently attended an event where my colleagues and I were called forward to accept an award on behalf of our community. It was a surprise, but I think had we known about the presentation, all of us would have done prepared differently. Our thoughts would have been less scattered, our attire more professional and the one missing colleague would probably have made a point to attend. At the house of a Pharisee Jesus told a parable warning us about being presumptuous and taking the best seat at a wedding banquet (Luke 14:7-12). I can just imagine the guy who took the lowest seat and was then honored by being moved up to a seat of importance...he was probably thinking, ‘Man, I knew I should’ve worn one of my better tunics!”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;

-----Interesting insight. How the man asked to move up may have felt about his preparedness never crossed my mind. But I think I can relate to his feelings and yours. LaVelle, my other mother, invited me to her installation as Grand Matron, I think they call it, of Eastern Star, and to the following dinner reception. I’ve always known Eastern Star to be very formal about their ceremonial functions. I also had always perceived them to be events not very open to the public. So somehow, I mistakenly presumed that I was invited to the dinner, and that it would probably be more of a relaxed celebratory atmosphere. So I wore my cutoffs. I was really embarrassed when I found that I was going to be sitting through this incredibly formal ceremony of honor while wearing cutoffs.
-----Life is full of little pitfalls that can be avoided by just a little thought. Why I didn’t presume the dinner following a formal ceremony would also be rather formal, or why I would be invited to the dinner but not the ceremony was just intellectual laziness. I don’t know how intellectually lazy the man of Jesus’ parable was. He may have been sharp and on the ball and maybe that is why he was called to a higher seat.

Love you all,
Steve Corey