March 20, 2009

Reminiscing

As a means of motivation Mrs. Burr told her kindergarten class that they can’t go on to first grade until they can tie their shoes. Using problem solving skills five year-old David suggested wearing shoes with Velcro straps, but Mr. Burr wouldn’t budge. The kids had to be able to tie shoe strings and the end of the school year is rapidly approaching. A couple days ago I answered the phone and heard, “G.G…. This is David. Guess what? I get to go to first grade!” It sort of sends me down memory lane and learning that I get to heaven. Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” Matt 18:3 NIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;

-----I think this saying of Jesus is maybe the most condensed packet of insights in the Bible. It just never stops giving different ways being childlike is necessary for the new life. A child is newly born, lives primarily in a learning phase, is deeply cognitive of parental force, is highly aware of boundaries, and is yet able to maintain an individual identity. But maybe the aspect of being childlike that I most relate to is the little fusses they throw when they don’t get their way. I am sure Jesus was aware of how fussy a child could be. And probably why, regardless of that, He said we needed to become like children is they fuss a lot less than adults. Adults simply learn to internalize it, then vent it through other, less conspicuous behaviors.

Love you all,
Steve Corey