April 12, 2011

A Timely Word

Last Sunday was our first service with the floor being raised to all one level. While most everyone seemed pleased with the changes, one elderly widow was not a happy camper. Stella’s* previous seat was in the front row in a semi-balcony area overlooking the congregation. With the raised floor, she is now sitting in the back row with no overlook. She was so disgruntled that she was saying she just might leave our fellowship and go somewhere else. While I might have tried to placate or reason with her, one of our leaders simply put his arm around her shoulder and said, “Well now Stella, why would you want to do that when all your friends are here?” “A man finds joy in giving an apt reply—and how good is a timely word!” (Proverbs 15:23 NIV) *name changed

5 comments:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I liked your sanctuary’s layout. It was quaint. I will miss it.

Love you all,
Steve Corey

Christian Ear said...

Steve,
I agree…we certainly lost some personality in the facility when the floor was raised. However, it will now be a much safer facility. Bless their hearts, many of our older folks were determined to sit front and center in the lower level. Every Sunday there were walkers, oxygen tanks on wheels, people using canes, those hanging onto rails and onto one another just to get down the stairs to their seat. I speculate that there would be a heavenly recall if we ever had to evacuate quickly!
Gail

Steve Corey said...

Being young and spry, I hadn't thought about that. Somebody at your church is being more thoughtful than I am (which is not difficult.)

Steve

www.klempdomainia.blogspot.com said...

One of my favorite comments to an unfixable complaint is, "Oh, I am so sorry to hear that." I really am sorry they feel that way. It does not mean I can fix it. It means that I care about them.

Katherine

Christian Ear said...

Katherine,
Nicely said. Your right, it’s an unfixable complaint. It’s interesting how we believers try to ‘fix’ the unfixable. I’ve definitely got to work on that!
Glad to have you in the conversation.
Gail