March 26, 2012

Bon Voyage

My friend Sharon was recently diagnosed with severe, inoperable heart problems and she has only a short time to live.  “Ninety-five percent of my heart is blocked.” She smiled, “So I’m running on only five percent fuel.” As Christians we should never be afraid to die, but Sharon’s attitude is remarkable. “I can hardly wait to see the Lord and sit on His lap. It’s marvelous, it’s wonderful. The Lord has given me a plan and I have time to get my affairs in order.” I laughed with Sharon when she told me that even knowing she had six months to live didn’t stop her from suggesting a timetable to the Lord. “When I have chest pains I tell Him, ‘I’m ready, this would be a good time for me to go!’”

2 comments:

Pumice said...

Although she seems unusual her attitude is what we should all have. This is living, temporally and eternally, by faith. Blessing on her.

Grace and peace.

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I’ve lived most of my life looking forward to the time I only had a short time to live. I don’t think it has been a good attitude. I haven’t really had to look forward to having a short time. Eighty years, ninety, even a hundred is really a short time. I had a short time to live when I was born, whether or not I might make it much past fifty-eight or to one-hundred-twenty. My consideration of time’s length has been based on the wrong scale. This fleeting temporal moment is microscopically short upon the scale of eternity. When I compare my time left until all things are made right with that time we will have while all things are right, I am more apt to see the beauty God created in this temporal place and the good that does happen here. When I compare my time left with the expected human lifetime, I see only steep hill to climb.

Love you all,
Steve Corey