March 07, 2012

You Are Here

A frustration I have with my computer is that I don’t always know where I am. Am I in the library, in a folder or in a sub-folder? Every once in a while a family member will have to lead me out of the maze, but that still doesn’t register with me as to how I got to where I was in the first place and more importantly, how to get out on my own. I recently sent up yet another distress call to Bill saying, ‘where am I?’ and he finally had the answer I was looking for. “Just look up on the tool bar at the top of the screen and it will show you where you’ve been and where you are now.”  As believers we sometimes fail to realize where we are in our Christian maturity – for better or for worse. I would love to have a spiritual tool bar that showed me where I’ve been and where I am now. “Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.” (Heb 5:13-14 NIV)

2 comments:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I think we overcomplicate maturity in the Lord. I don’t mean that it is not complicated. Maturity is gloriously expansive and intricate, just like everything else God has made. The deeper you look into it, the more structure, correlation, and organization you see about it. But all of that wonder will happen naturally for the soul who wants to be good just because God made good the way to be. There really isn’t much more to it than having the desire to do good, opening the Bible to learn what is good, and then going to do what was learned. The complications come from our efforts to defend the immaturity in us we enjoy too much to misplace amongst a growing mass of maturity. We will never miss those things if we just get blissfully lost in maturing. For we never really need to know where we are in maturity as long as we meet each moment with either the maturity we’ve learned, the maturity we’re learning, or the humility to learn something new. Each moment will call from us what maturity it needs. Then, as long as we answer that call one moment at a time, maturity will find us.

Love you all,
Steve Corey

Steve Corey said...

PS
-----The subconscious is incredibly vast and deep. So it really isn’t possible to map out the maturity which has been built into it. About all I think I need to know regarding where I am in maturity is hopefully that I am more now than I was, and that I am not as much as I will be.