February 26, 2014

How Do We Begin?

I’ve started professionally critiquing speakers, including those making presentations during the worship service – those who give announcements, meditations and preach. I am amazed by how often speakers begin their talk by telling the audience about their preparations. Recently a communion meditation started (paraphrase), “I thought I would talk about … but then I thought that was wrong and I thought of something else … then the Lord put on my mind to talk about what I was going to originally talk about. I think this is what I should be telling you today.” I can’t even imagine Jesus, Paul or Peter prefacing their remarks in a similar manner. Peter stood up at Pentecost, raise his voice and addressed the crowd, “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say.” (Acts 2:14)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----You, too, then. I’ve long pondered its “Why?” Anyone, especially the unskilled speaker, approaches the stage realizing his speech could soar. Or flop. The preparation perspective offered as an introduction I surmise to be the speaker’s risk reducing straddle. If the speech soars, then it’s greatness rests upon the firm foundation of a mighty hard preparation having been well conquered. If it flops? Then the efforts to deliver a great speech were conquered by an unexpectedly, abysmal preparation challenge. Kind of like the Broncos and the Super Bowls.
-----Think about it, really. In a very inconspicuous way, Jesus did this too. He often said that everything He was saying His Father told Him to say. In other words, “I prepared to tell you this by obeying my Father.” Of course, Jesus was making no risk reducing straddle. He knew His stuff wouldn’t flop. So His reason for so doing was singly focused upon exposing the foundation of obedience off which His success soared.

Love you all,
Steve Corey