February 07, 2014

Naming Names

I’m almost finished with one college writing class, and while I’ve learned a lot, the biggest “aha” I’ve gained is the ability to write honestly and without hesitation. For instance, if I want to write about my childhood, broken fellowship, or sin marching down my street, I don’t have to worry about hurting anyone’s feelings or making someone angry. I can write with complete abandon and even name names because, other than my instructor, no one is going to read what I’ve written. I’m now considering how honest and forthright I am with the Lord. Of course I know that He is omniscient, but His knowing my thoughts is not the same as expressing those thoughts to Him. Maybe the Lord would like me to tell Him about my childhood, broken fellowships and the sin marching down my street. “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----That God knows all our thoughts is one of the more meaningful things to me. It takes my relationship with Him into what even begins to make me so that it can involve completely everything about me. And that makes me feel safe.
-----There was a time when it kind of bothered me, because our thoughts and feelings flow far less restrained than do our actions. Moreover, they are often quite unacceptable and embarrassing at their points of germination. Knowing that God is experiencing them as I am, and even more fully than I am, has been an incentive to always take more responsibility over what and how I think. Eventually I began to realize that the delight He wants to get from us comes first from His experiencing our thoughts and feelings. When that idea had fully grown in me, I began viewing my heart and mind as an entertainers with a very, very precious audience indeed, and the Word of God as a script writing manual.

Love you all,
Steve Corey