February 11, 2014

Out of the Overflow

Many believers are kept from publically proclaiming the Good News, not because they are uneducated in the Gospel, but because they lack confidence in presenting the Gospel. Jesus said, “ … For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks” (Matt 12:34b NIV). Because our hearts come in all kinds of shapes, sizes, strengths and weaknesses, the overflow of the heart takes on myriad of possibilities. Recognizing the Spirit in one another is easy, but polishing the overflow that can be tricky.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----Among my most embarrassing moments is the one when I was sent with several other teens down Main Street of Grand Junction by that Pentecostal church to preach the Gospel to anyone we met. I don’t think I approached more than three people. I couldn’t get over the feeling that something about the plot was patently wrong. I never did that again.
-----And it isn’t that I think doing such things is wrong. Some forty-two years later I’ve come to understand what was wrong with the idea. Nobody trained me how to stir up genuine interest in my prospective listeners. Even if one wants to stand on a soap box and preach to whomever gathers, he must still interest his listeners. To interest them you must at least have some insight about their general personalities and lives. Then you must care enough about them to meet them there.
-----Every year this world takes on more of the “Revelation shape”. Personally, I can not understand how the correlations can be missed. So, I’ve become far more outspoken around people about shifting at least some of our daily doings and attention to preparing for what comes. Even yet, I now measure my listeners’ responses carefully, probing not so much for what they are interested in as for what about this topic might be interesting to them in the moment, and how to present it.
-----I would love to have the ability to just walk up to someone and start talking reality and the Lord. But there is just too much about relating to strangers that I don’t know.



Love you all,
Steve Corey