February 27, 2014

That’s Entertainment

I understand that many entertainers use a surrogate to warm-up an audience before the headline act takes the stage. Likewise, before beginning a presentation, a speaker often tries to connect to the audience with a story, a joke, or a Q & A welcome. I’m amazed how this practice has taken hold in the worship service, and it’s not simply done by one person. Each person, from the music leader, meditation leaders, to the preacher tries to ingratiate themselves with the congregation before they begin their part in the service.  Certainly the congregation doesn’t want to feel like they are in a lecture, but the jokes and fillers seem to enhance the speaker, not the message. I have to laugh when I think that Jonah didn’t need any warm-up to be successful, “Forty more days and Nineveh will be overturned.” (Jonah 3:4 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----That’s cute, “…warm up an audience before the headline act takes the stage.” I suppose a congregation needs “warmed up” in a way. The “act” should flow in a manner that progressively builds a worshipful frame of mind in the congregation, much the function of hymns and songs. I would think such a simple concept might dawn upon the minds taking stage. Perceiving what frame of mind is building and the next communication which might add there effectively is probably a more advanced skill. But all of the ingratiation indicates this useful skill either has not even begun to grow in us, or when we take stage we’re so frightful that greasing some kind slide into our part might shoot us on through its torture almost unconsciously. Well, anyway, that’s the least revealing description of how badly I would botch my part should I ever be caught on stage.

Love you all,
Steve Corey