May 10, 2016

Told You So

When someone ignores my good advice, and it turns out I was right, it’s hard for me not to say, “I told you so.” The Apostle Paul was taken to Rome by ship when the sailing weather turned bad and his warning that the voyage would be dangerous to life and a great loss to the ship and the cargo was ignored. At first blush it might seem that Paul did the I-told-you-so-dance, “After the men had gone a long time without food, Paul stood up before them and said: “Men, you should have taken my advice not to sail from Crete; then you would have spared yourselves this damage and loss”” (Acts 27:21). However, I see Paul using this I-told-you-so as a way to take charge of the situation and establish a foundation of authority and leadership. When the captain, the crew and the centurion finally took Paul’s advice, everyone reached land in safety.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...


Gail;

-----Paul was never anxious about his authority and leadership just for the sake of it. When it came purely to the matter of position, He saw himself as a servant. But the true love of God burned in him, for any attention he gave to his own authority and leadership was given only because it was his ability to build up the people he was leading. It was never about his being more important than others. It was always about where his followers would be going.

Love you all,
Steve Corey