May 02, 2016

Know Your Audience

I attended a meeting of an astronomy club and the scientific presentation was way over my head. I later called the presenter to get some clarification and he was taken aback that his information came across as deep. I can understand his discomfort. On the religious landscape mature believers would cringe if our presentations were over the heads of our audience. However, it occurs to me that many of the sermons we hear today have shifted to shallow simply because teachers fear talking over the heads of those in the congregation. Jesus proved that a simple message can have depth (parables). However, Jesus also knew his audience — the Pharisees and little children were not taught in the same style, or manner.

2 comments:

Steve Corey said...


Gail;

-----I would think the astronomy presenter might count on his audience at the astronomy club being rather versed in that field, if not maybe well versed. This world would be better salted if preachers and teachers in the church would count on the same. Unfortunately, they don’t milk the Word for much to feed their congregations, yet I think they would be surprised at how many in their congregations are prepared for the deeper treasures that can be brought out of the Bible. I think the whole process would elevate some if there were more people like you, who would call for clarification. It could actually begin to make a learning process.
-----When you first pressed the importance of knowing my audience upon me, I felt the thought of it rather perturbing. But I started paying more attention to how clear or milky the eyes of those I converse with stayed or became, and I’m beginning to learn how useful your advice is, especially when considering that the Lord is always our constant audience. Now, there’s an audience worth getting to know. And the better we know that audience, the more our lives become a great conversation. “1 O LORD, thou hast searched me and known me! 2 Thou knowest when I sit down and when I rise up; thou discernest my thoughts from afar. 3 Thou searchest out my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. 4 Even before a word is on my tongue, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.” (Ps 139:1-7)

Love you all,
Steve Corey

Pumice said...

Of course in the long run you would need to learn some of the basic things you did not have at that time or you would not have been serious about the subject. It also shows that people who want to know will stay and ask questions and people who want to pass on truth will be glad to share, and learn how to present better.

Good job for asking questions.

Grace and peace.