August 24, 2017

God’s Provision

It offends me to see a panhandler holding a cardboard sign that says, “Veteran…anything helps.” As a veteran myself I am well aware of all the numerous organizations available for helping vets. I also see beggars holding signs that say, “Christian needs help.” While there is no way of actually knowing whether the sign-holder is a veteran or a Christian, soliciting handouts implies that they are not being provided for. The Philippian church had sacrificially given to meet Paul’s needs and he reminded them of God’s provision for Christians, “And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus” (Phil 4:19 NIV).

2 comments:

Pumice said...

I am also a veteran. I will concede that I have no real damage from my time in the service. Those who were wounded in action should be helped, but like you said, the help is already there. I don't think I should hold my country at ransom because I had an all expense paid vacation to Vietnam.

As for being a Christian, if that is the case where is the church they are a part of?

Grace and peace.

Christian Ear said...

Exactly. I saw a man “in need” on a corner street multitasking as he talked on his cell phone while holding his cardboard vet sign. I would have liked to ask him if he had a VA identification card, but confronting him, or someone with a sign who claims to be a Christian, is probably not the best use of my time.
Gail