August 01, 2017

Invoking the Name of Jesus

Some denominations will read Scripture and then conclude by stating, “This is the Word of the Lord.” The people reading the Word leave no doubt in the listener’s mind that the message comes from the Lord. During a recent church visit I listened to five different speakers whose presentations included personal experiences, testimony and witness. Each speaker concluded their remarks with sentiments such as, “I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ,” or “I bear my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ.” I was reminded of an incident in Ephesus, “Some Jews who went around driving out evil spirits tried to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those who were demon–possessed. They would say, “In the name of Jesus, whom Paul preaches, I command you to come out.” Seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. One day the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and I know about Paul, but who are you” (Acts 19:13-15 NIV)? 

No comments: