April 04, 2019

Empty Words


For some time now my local newspaper has struggled with turning out a professional product and the paper continues to deteriorate. However, a publisher-in-waiting just wrote an opinion column singing the praises of the paper’s journalistic efforts titled, “Community journalism held to a higher standard”. The writer said, “If we do not meet your expectations call me at (xxx-xxx-xxxx), and I will return your call the same day.” My sense is that subscribers have already given negative reviews and feedback and this is the writer’s attempt to use words to rehabilitate the public perception. I’ve seen similar scenarios play out in the church when people, leaders as well as laity, try use words rather than actions to influence perception. Paul said, “Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them” (Eph 5:6-7 NIV).

No comments: