March 19, 2007

Getting to the Text

I tuned into a TV evangelist whose topic for the day was Bible prophesy. The speaker began his presentation by saying the Christian community neglects prophesy. “We hear so little about it and no one preaches on it.” I thought he might be on point as he sprinkled his message with a few verses from Revelation, but he just kept returning to the churches lack of prophetic study. After a half hour I wanted to say, ‘You’ve just wasted my time. Rather than opening the Biblical text, you chose to lament what slackers we are in the study of prophesy.’ Too bad this preacher isn’t convicted by his own words, “We hear so little about it and no one preaches on it.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Funny! He was preaching about himself and didn’t even know it! And there are also books that spend chapter after long chapter trying to convince you that the book is an important one to read! I’ve never finished one of those kind of books, so I don’t know if that is all they are about. I suppose I would have been snoring at this preacher’s sermon. It never seems to matter how much sleep I have had, but a continuous, monotonous sound, such as the engine and beating of an airplane propeller, course tires on a highway, or the tiresome beating of nonsense by a preacher will put me to sleep quickly. Especially if the sun is shining on my face.