March 16, 2007

The Power of the Pulpit

On Colorado’s Front Range a youth pastor at a mega church felt God directing him to make long range plans for planting a church. When the senior pastor got wind of the idea formulating in the mind of the youth minister he moved quickly. Imagine the surprise of the youth pastor upon hearing the public announcement that he’d no longer be working with the youth because he was leaving the congregation. My source for this incident indicates the senior pastor has total control of this church. He cautioned, “Don’t give the location of this church. If the pastor thinks you’re talking about him and his church [in the blog], he’ll come after both of us!” I had to laugh at the truthfulness of the statement, but at the same time it’s embarrassing that we allow church leaders to strike fear in the hearts of believers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----I like to watch nature shows. Almost invariably the show takes us into the living room of some animal species to reveal the dominant male protecting his harem. That male always seems anxious and aggressive towards anything that moves, except one of the ladies. All those pictures of all those paranoid, dominant males ran in my head as I read your blog about this Front Range preacher. And memories of a few other church leaders I personally know came alive as well.
-----I wonder if this is really what God has called the overseers of His children to be? I wonder if God meant for the jealousy of their hearts to be an operative part of humble ministry to His children? I wonder if He really meant for one man’s own ambition to be the shaping force upon His flock? I wonder if He meant for one man’s ideas to be disseminated throughout such large masses of people?
-----I think not. Paul told the Corinthians not to follow men like these who lust to be followed. God directed His apostles to leave for us writings and examples of selfless, humble efforts to inspire among His children heart-felt participation in each other’s lives. Yet pompous, spit-spraying, pimps of self-ambition keep popping up and treating God’s children like a giant bed of fish eggs over which it is their opportunity to spread the seeds of their own personal wit. Jealously, they seem to shape these churches into mindless schools of clones that are anxious to bleat out, “HOW GREAT IS THE PREACHER OF MY MEGA-CHURCH!” To watch these examples of selfishness drive away from their brood of eggs any thought that did not originate from themselves makes me want to scream!
-----Maybe that is what I am doing now, screaming. Maybe that is why many people find me too wordy on paper and too windy in person. Maybe I should agree. But I long for the day I will see true humility in the pulpit, sincere guardianship amongst the elders, and careful, reverent Bible knowledge in all of their minds.