June 27, 2008

Anything Goes

No, it doesn’t. I’ve got a lot of clothes hanging in my closet that won’t go with anything I own. When I purchased each piece I thought this will go with everything. Wrong. In trying to mix and match clothing I’ve learn that all blacks aren’t black, nor are all beiges created equal. Yesterday I picked up a dark sage colored blouse to go with my light sage colored slacks. When I held them up against each other neither one looked like sage and they certainly didn’t go together. I sometimes have the same trouble with Scripture. I’ll think of a verse that I’m positive will compliment a thought and when I put them together they don’t match. Now, I realize the world won’t end if I wear mismatched clothes or misquote Scripture, however when they’re not put together properly they don’t always have the desired affect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----The world itself won’t end if you misquote and mismatch scripture. But in as much as the world you, yourself, know is actually the accumulation of all perceptions, knowledge, and information you alone have inside you, it exists at the risk of your carelessness. That is the way it is with all of us. The more misquotes and mismatches we feed ourselves, the more our understanding becomes corrupted by them. The more it becomes corrupted, the more our world ends until all we have left is an Alice’s Wonderland constructed out of the way we would like things to be and fit together, rather than the way things really are.
-----As I read of your attention to beiges and sages, I realized you evidently have many different terms for what I have always just called “tan“, or have just called “green“. That indicates to me that you measure with a closer eye. And that is the first step towards higher intelligence: a tighter scrutiny of the details. I do not have to think about the level of understanding had by folks who step up to the plate with comments like, “Oh, you just scrutinize too much!” More accurate perception requires more accurate attention to the details.
-----And there is nothing that pays greater return on the investment of careful attention than the Word of God. Some dismiss the Word of God as not being believable and lacking any credibility against the light of science, while they have not even cracked its cover. Others have read it endlessly, knowing its contents far better than even I do, yet all of the truths and moral principles from it are caged up in their minds like lab rats, sliced, diced, and run under the microscope to be compared to their own Wonderland patched together from all the previous sliced and diced lab rats. The Word is living and makes its own connections in the humble mind that genuinely desires to know only the truth. And those who know it correctly have been searched out by the Word far more than they have searched the Word.

Love,
Steve Corey