June 26, 2008

Price Tag

Many folks want to talk about the exodus from XYZ Church, however lately the conversations have shifted. It may be a different segment of the membership, but rather than asking why people are leaving, some are now telling me why they aren’t leaving. With few exceptions these brothers and sisters say they are staying with XYZ Church because of their particular ministry, or because of their inter-generational family. I can empathize with both situations. Some folks have spent decades building up and supporting a ministry and they feel the need to protect it. Quite honestly, going to another church might well mean that their beloved ministry will suffer cuts in funding, or possible elimination all together. And no one wants to be the one to break the heritage of fellowshipping with one’s own children and grandchildren. Interestingly Jesus doesn’t distinguish between believers and non-believers when He says, “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.” Matt 10:37-38 NIV

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----If the leaders at XYZ Church were teaching immorality, or that lying and stealing were ok, or that Buddha and Allah would get you safely and happily into your eternal life, then I would have serious concern over those who are determined to stay in that fellowship. But as it is, there has been no arrogance outright taught, no teaching of deceit and backroom tricks, nor do they openly teach disregard for the brethren; the leaders only practiced and exemplified these things. But they still preach and teach Jesus, although not as effectively as they could if their examples were to maintain accord with their teaching.
-----Before I can fault them to the point of utter ineffectiveness, I have to notice that my teaching is not without its flaws either. My examples are not perfect, and I also spend too much time thinking I am pretty sharp. Anyway, I hope and pray that someone gets some good out of the life I try to live in Him.
-----Many folks are also able to get benefit from the efforts the leaders of XYZ Church make. I presume they make those efforts for the Lord, at least they all appear zealous in their busyness. Regardless of their motives, as Paul stated, “Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from goodwill. The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel; the former proclaim Christ out of partisanship; not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice.” (Philippians 1:15-18 RSV) So I am sure the folks who determine to continue there with their fellowship are served. However, sweeter, less brackish water is available elsewhere for those discerning enough to notice the difference.

Lord bless them,
Steve Corey

Anonymous said...

Steve, thank you for your comment. If the time ever came that XYZ church was not teaching directly out of the Bible I also, would be "out of there" but in the meantime, I am worshipping and praising my Lord!

Anonymous said...

God bless you, Anonymous. The Lord is tickled pink with you because you have called upon Him. Everything beyond that is really good gravy.

Love,
Steve Corey

Anonymous said...

Just a little input from me on this subject...

I have heard some people comment that they believe they should stay and 'fight' for the right. They are concerned for the unknowing and the spiritually immature who will be left to the 'wolves' if all the more mature and stable believers leave. I'm assuming they feel this is what God is asking of them.

And then, some of us are still there because God hasn't yet told us to leave. Maybe He has work for us there? Maybe He has lessons for us to learn there? Maybe He wants us to be patient and trust Him? Whatever His reasons, we can't move till He says go... no matter what our preferences would be.

We who are still there must be careful to never condemn those who have felt they must leave. Likewise, those who have left must be careful not to condemn those who believe they should stay... It's Christ in our hearts that is our bond of unity, not the name of the group we meet with.
Love in Him,
Arlene

Christian Ear said...

Arlene,
Thanks for adding to the conversation. I think it strengthens us as believers when our inner struggles can be heard through a spiritual voice.
Gail