June 20, 2008

Customer Service?

When I worked in the customer service field the phone calls I received often had one thing in common, the caller felt they had been injured or mistreated. One day a disgruntled customer on the other end of the line happened to be a fellow believer. Face to face this brother had always treated me with love and respect. However, this day he was angry, demanding and a totally different person. Once he had calmed down, I told him who I was and immediately his tone of voice and attitude changed. I find that I too am more apt to control a bad attitude when I’m around people I know I’ll be seeing again. So why do we find it acceptable to present our Christian face only to our brothers and sisters or on Sunday mornings? Paul had it right when he said, “What I want to do I do not do, but what I hate, I do.” (Rom. 7:15) --Leslie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie;
-----I think it has to do mostly with what we have to gain or loose. The people we must associate with are more involved in our general emotional state and success, so we invest more into them. Of course, there are a few folks around with whom mutual respect has been shattered. Investment into them tends to slack off with the realization of diminished returns.
-----There are some people who present their best side to everyone. Many of them have learned that life is not a continuous litany of sameness. Things change. Therefore, no one will forever fail to present some form of return on investment. Besides, these folks understand the subtle nature of life and the networking of relationships unseen to the eyes. They know that good done to one person may reach the ears of a deeper pocket, from which might flow a healthy return.
-----But, thankfully, there are some who behave according to what others have to loose or gain. Their own loss or gain is a secondary concern. They are going to make sure their part of any relationship, or even mere momentary interaction, makes some sort of benefit for the one on the receiving end first, and for themselves second. They are accustomed to making the subtle attitude corrections that will accommodate what someone else needs at the moment. They truly are servants, and they truly love.

Love,
Steve Corey

Christian Ear said...

Steve: Thank the Lord for those who truly serve. Now if I could manage to do that more instead of less! --L

Anonymous said...

Leslie;
-----Indeed it is hard to learn! And the foxhole at the front line offers more lessons than the sofa. I think that is why we Americans are a bit deficient in our educations.

Love,
Steve Corey