June 10, 2008

Three Minutes

I’m running in another election, but this time it’s for a position on an Executive Board for state municipalities. The annual conference is next week and each candidate will have exactly three minutes to give a speech in which to garner votes. It sort of reminds me of an arranged marriage where the bride and groom don’t meet until they are saying their ‘I do’s’…or as in this case, casting their votes. Often our testimony and witness for Christ is subtle and given over time. I’m wondering what I’d say in a speech if I had only three minutes to make a cause for Christ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----At College in Missouri I had an instructor who often referred to a piece of advice given him by a street evangelist. He told him that on the street people are continually coming into and leaving from your audience. Therefore, your message must be like an earthworm, able to be sliced into small sections, each one carrying enough of the fundamental message to live on as a complete earthworm itself. I never could catch on to that idea, although I thought it was brilliant. I always try to slice and dice a topic into its elemental bits, giving complete explanation of all their individual natures as well as their intertwined relationships. It never dawned on me to merely present the simple facts in clear terms, letting my listeners roll it around in their own heads till it finds a comfortable fit.

Steve Corey